Wednesday, July 1, 2009

As I sit here, I’m stuck on my second hot stuffy plane waiting for take off. I realize the first step has been taken. The goodbyes.


Carley, Me, Delicia, and Helen....Nyumba ya Duma!!!!


Below is our house worker Mama Mawazo



I haven’t been able to write on here in a while. Every time I started, I just didn’t know what to say. So much of my heart is still in Tanzania. The last few weeks with the kids were filled with lots of activities and fun times. I enjoyed each minute I had with them to see their smiles and just spend some more time without the pressure to complete any work.


Their paper airplane contest (learning aerodynamics)


Some kids dancing at the circus.



Our last Grade 5 Assembly!!!




Many goodbye with staff at HOPAC. This is Avril giving Clare her present....I got one to a picture of the whole school!



After saying goodbye to most people at HOPAC, I still had about 10 days left to spend with friends. Michelle, Naomi, and I decided that we needed stuff to do…so we came up with a schedule of events. Something for each day going until Michelle leaves at the end of July. I was so grateful for that schedule. It kept us all busy, got the last minute tourist things out of my system, and kept me from focusing on the hard goodbye’s coming up.


Me, Michelle, Delicia, and Naomi at dinner one night.


Our resort at south beach.


Young Boy selling hard boiled eggs on the beach.


I will miss these gorgeous beaches!!!



One of the greatest blessings this year has been living on the compound. I think I told you before, but it consisted of 10 single girls living in 3 houses, two families, and one couple. We have lovingly called it the “convent” and once it was even called the “harem”. God has just been such a blessing to surround me with these amazing people. I know I took their friendship and support, and dedication to Christ for granted this year. But each girl (especially) has taught me so many things and has been an encouragement to me. I don’t know how many amazing conversations and problems, and concerns were worked through. But it was a lot. I could go to a number of different people to laugh, cry, or just seek godly advice.


My new Indian Outfit from one of my students. What a blessing to be covered in other cultures.

I will miss everyone as I head back. Helen and Clare have returned to London. Kate, Delicia, Carley, and Noami stay to continue serving at HOPAC. And Michelle returns to Texas and Lisa returns to Louisiana for a short time before going back to Tanzania. The best part of their returning is the fact that I KNOW it wasn’t a final goodbye. I might have completely lost it if I didn’t think I would see them again. But I now have standing invites to come stay in LONDON!!!! Yay!!

Many people have taught me and encouraged me. Showed me how to trust the Lord, showed me how to pray through all circumstances, showed me how to struggle through with a smile on your face and a joy to come to the circumstances.

People already mentioned notwithstanding, I will also greatly miss Tanzania and my friends there. The warmth and open hearts that I have encountered there are just inspiring. Friends who truly care and remember you and your needs.
Kids from the village waiting to hear their Bible story on Saturday mornings.


William with his service to his home village. Working at the school, preaching on Sundays, running kids programs. He has more than two full time jobs, but is always will to serve and ALWAYS greeting you with a “Bwana Safiwe” (Praise the Lord). But many others who are just working hard in my church or around Tanzania, but willing to open their hearts to new people. I think a hard adjustment will be losing those immediate and trusting friendships.

This morning (my last morning) in Tanzania, I took my breakfast up to the roof and watched the sun rise over the Indian Ocean. My heart just started rejoicing in the Lord. What a blessing this year had been. How exciting to serve those who are working on the front lines fighting for the gospel to get out on the frontier. What a privilege to know those whom I have met and what a joy to encounter friends from all over the world who care for me and my relationship with the Lord. View from my rooftop.

Despite the tears, despite the power issues, mosquitoes, hot weather, and hard times. I wouldn’t trade this year for anything. Don’t get me wrong, it is difficult to live away from family and friends, yet these experiences have deepened my love of God, have opened my mind to what others are facing, and has changed my view of life. How can you weigh that against the minor difficulties faced there.

I know I can trust my savior. I didn’t know what this past year held when it started, but God did. Thank you Lord for guiding me and using me as I blindly stumbled through the path, one step at a time. Continue to guide me as I step forward in faith again, not sure of what the future holds, but knowing you are there sustaining me, planning for me, and using me.

3 comments:

Joelyn said...

Oh Juls I just love your heart! You are such an inspiration to me, I a rejoice with you that you got to have such an awesome year with so many great experiences. I'll be praying that your adjustment back to American life goes well, and that you continue growing in the Lord, here, too! Keep sharing all you have learned. Love you girl!

Roxanne said...

Great post, awesome to hear your reflections afte a year here. beautiful outfit too :) all the girls look great. It is hard to process such an experience but I kno you were an amazing presence here!!!Tanzania will always be with you and I count it a blessing I got to meet you over here :) praying for you in this time of transition in the US...and drink a starbucks for me:)

Carley said...

Juli! Oh, I miss you so much! :)