Sunday, September 7, 2008

My class!!!!

One of the MANY geckos that hang out in the corners and walls to catch all the bugs. This one was cool though. Its the first i saw with a yellow head! They made me a sign!! :-)
My picture on the wall and door. We get to go to the rainforest in January!!!!!


I have all the desks lined up ...here is my corner where I TRY to stay organized. Please notice on the wall....an AIR CONDITIONER. Thats right! Some of my bulletin boards. You have to piece smaller pieces of paper together to get the background, but it was worth it to make a colorful print rich environment....teacher talk.
Look at all my books....and we have a HUGE library. It is amazing how many resources have been brought to this school. Thanks to the many supporters and missionaries that have been sending money and supplies.
The view from my classrom window. Just behind that building is the inground SWIMMING POOL. It is so nice to swim after a long hot day!
The 1-3rd classroom block.


These are my 25 angels. No, I definitely did NOT bribe them to sit so still and look so innocent. Okay so maybe i did a little...
Kemi had her birthday during the summer. So we celebrated on the 2nd day of school. And yup...that is a Kim Possible cake. Who knew you could have a Kim Possible cake made in Africa?!?!
So far teaching has gone well. It is an adjustment to the new curriculum and resources. but most of the material is the same thing that I covered before.



The hardest part is all the new vocabulary. As in a period is called a full stop..an eraser is called a rubber. most days i lose the kids as I start a lesson. they start looking at me like I have 5 heads because i am saying funny things. But its because Britian and America use very different names for things. It is amazing how many motions or small words hold VERY different meaning in the cultures. coming to an Enligsh speaking school is harder than I thought! haha




but above all, it is fun to learn from each other and accept the new vocabulary. we try to stay with the policy that you say the word that is most comfortable to you. So that no one feels like they have to change what they are used to. i like the openness.




My students are very loving and for the most I don't have many problems. They always leave with hugs for the day. most of my girls are sweet and love to come and chat with me during breaks and free time. Its fun to get to know them and see how happy they are with all their friends. I have a very accepting class. So Praise God for good behavior and supportive families! It is amazing to see how many families have TWO parents and a stable house.







3 comments:

Trisha said...

This is a great post! I loved seeing the pictures of the school and your students. About the Kim Possible cake, I was always amazed at the random things from American culture which were present in Uganda.

Roxanne said...

thanx so much for all the pics- it is so cool to see yoru class- looks amazing!! Nice work miss teacher-thang!!!

Melissa said...

Julie - this is Melissa, the teacher that taught in that classroom last year. I just got the link to your blog, but I think it will take me awhile to get caught up on everything from the last few months because I know how adventurous every day can be in Dar! The classroom looks GREAT! but I have to admit it's a little weird to see your name above the grade 5 sign instead of mine. Looks like you're having a great year so far! Enjoy it - it goes by WAY too fast.