Friday, October 24, 2008

Recent thoughts!

So I know I have been saying it like crazy. but I just keep asking for prayer because I don't know where God will have me in the future.

This week I went to our AIM Tanzania conference. The speaker (peter) had so many amazing insights. I also ended up reading this book called, "The Shack" by William P. Young. Highly recommended as a book to help think about WHO God is. However, both of these have really combined to get my mind reeling and thinking. I literally could not sleep last night. My first real experience of insomnia. not too fun by the way!

I came to Africa not even sure I would make a year here, but God is amazing and gave me the grace to follow and do the things he would have you to do. But more than that at conference, I met so many people just overjoyed to be here and serve the Lord. You can just see it written on their face, this is home. this is where they were intended to be. And how I long for that! yet I also see that none of them know how long they will be doing the things they are doing. I think my misconception has long been that if I can just get it all figured out i will be happy.

But that is not it AT ALL. God doesn't tell anyone all the answers. He just gives you enough for you to know where you should be NOW, if you are listening! In the mean time, I need to learn a new word (for me) CONTENTMENT. How blessed am I, he has cleared shown me that i am supposed to be here. yet I spend my time worrying about those I love and left at home. Thinking about what I am "missing". Without seeing the enjoyment and peace he wishes for me here, RIGHT WHERE I AM!
So contentment is my new middle name. Well I hope it will be as I work towards just loving God and living life here. My location doesn't matter, what does matter is how often I am praying, how much I am allowing God into my decisions, how I treat those around me with the Love that God feels for them.

Now, i don't want anyone in America to think that I don't miss them. i do, I long to walk down the street and just be a person (as opposed to a mzungu). But i am not missing out on life. I am living the life that God has given to me. it is hard to leave family and friends, but how much more rewarding is it to do the work of the Lord. I mean think about it (as I have been trying to teach to my 5th graders)...eternity...I can hang out with everyone I love who loves the Lord then. So i can spend a few years here separated from them.

Still working on all of this, but trying to feel more at peace about NOT knowing the future. You can waste your whole life thinking about the future and worrying. I want to live in the here and now.

So on that note, some pics from the weekend of me on a camel....yup a camel on the beach. Very bumpy ride, let me tell you. Who knew!

2 comments:

Saved by God's grace said...

hey julie! this is laura's friend janet. we met once at eastern! i just wanted to thank you for serving in Africa. you are truly an example of one who is not wasting their life. God's grace in your life is so evident. thanks so much for your humility in sharing. laura sent me this blog because she thought it would really encourage me and it did!! i'm praying for you today. thank you!!

Charmyn said...

Hey Julie, thanks for putting your thoughts up... its not always easy but it is always an encouragement to others!
thanks for keeping up your blog... i don't have internet often, but its nice to check up on people!
have a great day!