Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mom's Visit

These are my fav banana's
They are SOO sweet! As most of you know my Mom came out to visit me!!!!! It was so exciting to see a familiar face..but we sure did keep busy while she was here.


Thankfully (for me) her flight got cancelled AND MOVED SOONER! She came even before school ended and was able to meet all the kids and watch their christmas pagentAdd Image.

Our first stop was Zanzibar! so much fun. beautiful city with lots of "touristy" things to do. We took a spice tour one day. Here this guy just walked us around and told about spices, but he also made some funny things out of the leaves. Glasses, necklaces, even crowns! It was a lot of fun. One guy even climbed up the coconut tree so we could see how they got to the top!




All of the presents made from leaves! Note the glasses AND purse.


The height of the trees....



They guy climbing them to the top!!!! amazing. He was even hanging on with his hands and putting his legs out! I really thought he would fall.

Mom practicing her "Queen" pose! She really thought she was one when he gave her the crown!



Mom hanging out by a spice tree with our guide.

Another missionary family (the Janders) joined us for our vacation to Zanzibar. this is a picture ofthe girls and I after all our shopping one day....:-)

My FAVORITE coffee shop in Stone town. It was just amazing coffee! I made mom come back with me for a second cup.


Zanzibar is known for its intricate wood working. So lots of the doors and just totally covered in designs.


After Zanzibar we were back in Dar for Christmas. There was a great christmas eve caroling service at sunset. that was a lot of fun. I took a good pic of the crowd because there were so many white people. I told Michelle that i didn't think there were any other white people left in Dar! They had all come to the service. But it did feel strange to be in a sea of white faces. I am more comfortable now being in a sea of black faces.




Christmas here was hard though, to be so far from family that I knew was all getting together. But all the girls made it a nice relaxing day. We cooked a brunch, gave out some presents, and really just relaxed.










Delicia ripping into her gifts.











Our Christmas tree! My FIRST fake one.






















Later we travelled south to Mikumi National Park for some safari! SO MANY COOL ANIMALS! it was really exciting.


Like my cool safari hat?!?! I bought it out of the car window for 6,000 Tsh (about 5 bucks)








Hippo's hanging in the cool water! (right)







We saw so many herds of Zebra!!! They were everywhere. But I still think they look like horses.








Of course, my favorite!!!!!! The giraffe got really close sometimes.












Our Safari guide was even a Christian. He actually asked us first because of our testimony whhen the car broke down. we just hung out on the side of the road for 5 hours no big deal. But he was very surprised at our lack of complaining. I know the Lord helped all of our attitudes, but i also think that I have reached a place where I just expect cars to break down and things to go wrong, so when they do...I just take it in stide. :-)





The Water Buffalo. That one with his nose up cracks me up! They were such curious creatures.











(left) The elephants were not as big as I had hoped, but it was amazing to see how they all worked together to take care of one another. One time we got too close and a Mama elephant told us what was up! she took a menacing step towards us and raised her trunk. We didn't get any closer!


We saw tons of antelope. They were everywhere!!! (below)




When we came back we logged some shopping and beach time to finish up our time together. I know Mom had fun, but I think she was ready to head back to the familiar life of America. she really showed me how different life here is. I am just accustomed to crazy driving, walking, downing liters of water every day! But i forget how MUCH I have adjusted to over the past 6 months.








God has been good though, it was so nice to get out and just hang with Mom. We got to go to some fun restaurants here (she helped supply some needed funds that were missing before) and really enjoy the city. I found out that I really want people to love Dar like I do. I know there are lots of problems here, but I really do love living in this city.



















1 comment:

Roxanne said...

It was so great to met your mom- what a fab time! Love teh pics! and no fair yoru tree was a "real" tree, ours was more of the Charley Brown variety! See you soon!