Sunday, July 27, 2008



We took a hike one day through the mountain. It was so gorgeous! The view from the top and almost all the way up was literally breathtaking. The picture above captures some of the sunbeams, but I tell you it was much better in person.


Yet all the way up we see children just roaming free, covered in dirt, old tattered clothes on them. It was literally heart breaking. The American-ness in me really just wanted to start a clothes drive right away. But the more we learn the more I begin to wonder if maybe they don't need clothes, maybe I just need perspective.

Don't they have a care free wonderful childhood? No one is worried (except the Mzungo) that they look like that. No one judges them. Its not cold there so they won't freeze. Why do we think that tears in clothes are so bad? How much do we need to "help" them? More and more I have learned of people trying to help and just end up ruining a culture and way of life that was wonderful and unique all by itself.
It is so confusing to think about what God is calling me to do and what is totally beyond my control and possibility of helping. I mean they have one of the prettiest backyards in the entire world. What is blessing? Isn't that a blessing? Fields that grow crops. Amazing fruits that are delicious, cheap, and grow year round. What if they have love and beauty in their lives? Is that enough? Is that better than new clothes?
Sign...dealing with poverty is not easy. The more you learn the harder it gets.


No comments: