Thursday, August 28, 2008

Setting up the house




My room (to the right)-the day I got my bed



Down the hall to the bathroom (right). See our washing maching!!! hurray :-)



Alright…now don’t be angry that I haven’t written!! I am not used to bloggin…I forget that this needs to be done!! Ha. But now I have a bunch of stories to tell you about. So in no particular order..i’ll fill you in on my last month of settling into life in Dar.

Delicia, Kate, and I flew together to Dar on the 31st of August. Now I had had just about enough of these girls…being with them 24/7 for the last month! So I was really excited to see my new house and set up my own room. But since this is Africa…neither of those things happened very quickly!

Cath and Tony (our AIM unit leaders) took us to the houses to see them, but they were not done being worked on. Apparently, the workers were under the impression we were not coming until the 8th and thought they had a whole week to finish what needed to be done. Now I am living with Delicia and a girl named Carly, who had not come yet. Kate’s house still was a mess, guys painting the outside, cement team putting another layer on the roof..water running down the sides of her house and INTO her house in huge puddles all over from the roof…stuff everywhere. It was quite disheartening. The good news was that my house was inhabitable….well according the millions of bugs that had taken up residence in the past month. Among the piles of stuff laying about I found assorted furniture in random places in the house. We all took inventory and began our shopping lists. The next few days was spent running all over the city trying to get the things that we needed to make the house into our home. But nothing here is as simple as it is in the states.
Picture of the bed leaving to go to the guest room.



After two long weeks of cleaning, arranging, going all over the city…our house is “finished”. We are still looking for some odds and ends…especially pictures since we haven’t bought any yet…but here is our home. We hope to have many people over to visit and enjoy it with us.

No comments: