Monday, November 17, 2008

5K FUN RUN….oxymoron??


Stupid me thought I was “in shape” and could handle running 5K….3 miles. Not to mention the 7:30 am start…to help fight the heat. But I forgot how steep the hills here, how hot the sun is, and how humid it is! Another teacher, Michelle, and I stayed together the whole race…we kept overtaking each other and then having to catch up. Man I thought I was going to die right in the middle. But afterward, I was glad I did it. Running seems to be like that. Want to start…hate it during….and feel so good about it after you finish. Lol. Good thing I don’t make decisions about when I will run again during the race.

I did make it…and even got 2nd in my age group. Got a nice cheap metal out of the whole deal! Lol. But everyone had a great time. 3 of my students did the run in just under 20 minutes!!! I couldn’t believe it. The best time was 19:20 I think. One of the gardeners names Meshack.

Lots of volunteers made this work. Here is Kate and Naomi pretending to me harsh time keepers.
One of the better points of this school: the parents, community, and anyone else just joins and in and helps out. There were a few different people who go to my church that had no children or involvement with HOPAC, but they set up shop, handed out waters, and cheered on all the kids. It was so sweet to see familiar faces at the half way mark handing me cold water!

I think mainly all the volunteering is because there isn’t much that goes on around here. Events like these seem even more exciting since they are so rare. But even more, it makes the events fun. I know so many of my parents they are now friends to me. People I could go and see help from, pop over and visit, or just call up to talk. I NEVER thought I would say that about the parents of my students.

Yea, I know how red my face is….but you have to remember even at 8:30 in the morning…IT IS HOT!

No comments: