Monday, November 17, 2008

Joys of Coaching


I might have mentioned before that someone who was not thinking has made me the u11 soccer coach. Now my knowledge of soccer includes don’t pick up the ball and kick it towards your goal…so this year of my “teaching” has been a bit challenging. Needless today, the girls didn’t improve terribly much. Not really their fault mainly mind for not knowing how to coach..oh well. But we did have a good season.

Some of the boys team.





The BEST part though was hanging out with the girls before and after the game and going through the pains and sorrows of losing or feeling like you aren’t succeeded. Friday I got to talk with one girl (who really is just terrible at the game!) But she didn’t want to play anymore because she felt she wasn’t good enough. Now I had just enough players to play this second game and two of them were fading fast! So I needed her to play bad or not! But her and I had a great conversation about not giving up and concentrating on just the small victories. Recognizing when we accomplish something instead of the many failure.

She is one of my students and this year I have been struggling with spelling. I am constantly spelling words wrong on the board and the students correct me. Whatever, it happens! But I used that as an example of me messing up and keep on going.

In the game (she plays defense) she made 3 amazing saves and clears. I was screaming at her!! It was so exciting to see her perk up because every time she touched the ball I specifically cheered her on. Yet as her confidence grew so did her skill. It was a tough game to lose. Considering the only goal was scored by our player…INTO OUR OWN NET! Yup that’s my team! Haha, but all the girls left with smiles and a desire to try again next year.

Libby who was struggling with feeling like she wasn't good enough! Poor girl.

Sam....yea scary! :-)
Ha Yeong and Angela...aren't they cute??


Mirjam relaxing between games.










Kemi trying not to laugh.





No comments: